POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : This makes no sense : Re: This makes no sense Server Time
8 Jul 2024 15:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This makes no sense
From: jhu
Date: 4 Jul 2014 15:25:01
Message: <web.53b6fe5dc704eaa3bc7625b90@news.povray.org>
> That was POV-Ray 3.6, i.e. single-thread performance (and also a
> different benchmark scene).

I've found good correlation between Povray 3.6 benchmark and per core
performance on Povray 3.7 benchmark. PowerPC 970 should be slower, clock for
clock, core for core, compared with Phenom II (which is already faster than K8).

> > There's something not quite right with OP's setup.
>
> Maybe the thermal throttling I mentioned?

No, not thermal throttling. My Phenom II 1090T @ 3.2 GHz (which is stock)
finishes the benchmark in 3 minutes 9 seconds (Ubntu 14.04, gcc 4.8 <- this is
the fastest OS + compiler setup I've been able to find for non-Intel
processors). It's running at 3.2 GHz for all cores the whole time based on the
output of /proc/cpuinfo

I think the Mac is misconfigured somehow. There's absolutely no way a quad-core
PPC 970 is faster than a hex core Phenom II that's also clocked higher.