POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray on various CPUs : Re: Povray on various CPUs Server Time
8 Jul 2024 14:30:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray on various CPUs
From: jhu
Date: 12 Jun 2014 11:55:00
Message: <web.5399cbf2b2214ee1d19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
"Nekar Xenos" <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Does this mean I can install Povray on my LG G2? I wouldn't want to root
> it before the contract is over. I don't have a clue what to do with a
> tar.gz file.
>
> --
> -Nekar Xenos-

You can, yes. The tar.gz file is a gzipped tar file. So you would need the tar
and gzip programs to uncompress it. Non-rooted phones don't generally have these
utilities. I'll upload another program into misc, busybox, that does encapsulate
all these utilities into one binary. Here's how you would use it:

1) make sure busybox and the tar.gz file are in the same directory
2) ./busybox tar zxf *tar.gz
3) Now you can run the povray benchmark as such: ./povray benchmark
4) Unfortunately, since your phone isn't rooted, you can't change the
clockspeed, so your phone's results will be low because it's thermally throttled
(which is something I found out recently).

BTW, rooting phones isn't all that difficult. Just follow the instructions. I
just bought my HTC One M8 yesterday, and it's already running a custom ROM. Your
LG G2 should be pretty easy to root (all known carriers):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=45692679#post45692679

To install Cyanogenmod:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_d802

Also, it has been pointed out to me that the Snapdragon scores are low due to
thermal throttling. So I've rerun Povray using 1 thread and set clock speed at
about 1 GHz. Here are the results:

Snapdragon 801, MSM8974AC
  (1t, 0.96 GHz):                        35.34 pps ;  36.81 pps/GHz
S4 Pro APQ8064 (1t, 1.026 GHz):          31.58 pps ;  30.78 pps/GHz