POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Internal Nesting Limit : Re: Internal Nesting Limit Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internal Nesting Limit
From: Kenneth
Date: 5 Apr 2014 15:50:01
Message: <web.53405d97c1f5941ac2d977c20@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> number of object: no.
> number of object with media: a different story.

The problem might not be as clear-cut as that. I rendered the OP's test code
*without* media, and with pigment{rgbt 1} and r2=2 (to get closer overlapping
spheres), and v3.7 actually crashes. The crash info says "...a stack overflow at
address 0x005F32CC has caused POV-Ray to crash." (I don't know if that's useful
information, but I've included it anyway.) Changing the pigment to rgbt
<1,1,1,.994> does not cause a crash, and the render proceeds OK with no problem.

I admit that my test is not a practical one (just perfectly transparent
spheres!), but I wanted to see what would happen.

> "Thorsten Froehlich" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Le Forgeron already provided a competent and correct answer; what you are
>> trying only wastes your time. It cannot work!

Do you mean, it cannot work because the problem is a known one (to be addressed
in the future?) Or that it cannot work at all? I don't mean to be argumentative;
I'm just curious. :-)