POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Skullhead : Re: WIP Skullhead Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:30:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Skullhead
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Mar 2014 15:40:01
Message: <web.532b434e418d49fec2d977c20@news.povray.org>

> /Vanitas/ is what this is called.

That's a new word to me; I always thought that artistic subjects of this type
were all called 'memento mori', but I see that 'vanitas' is more appropriate for
still-life representations.

and Lionel wrote...
You are right, too many objects in the back, the original painting (from
Philippe de Champaigne) is composed of a bottle with a flower, the skull
and the hourglass...

Based on that painting, I think that your skull could benefit from some phong or
specular highlights, along with subsurface scattering. The skull in that
painting seems to be heavily lacquered, which adds a great deal to its strange
visual appeal.