POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Odd visual distortion / artefacts with different scalings and orientaions : Re: Odd visual distortion / artefacts with different scalings and orientaio= Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:01:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd visual distortion / artefacts with different scalings and orientaio=
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 4 Mar 2014 17:15:01
Message: <web.53165017aefaf49c192ae5f10@news.povray.org>
Bald Eagle <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> I'm laying out a large facility, and trying to view a tiling grid and
> some layout lines.  I've noticed that when I zoom way out, I lose some
> lines, and get tricked into thinking they're not there, which gives the
> floor tiling grid an effect that fooled me into thinking I'd messed up
> the scaling.
> Some of the yellow layout "lines" (and these are HUGE cylinders) also
> inexplicably disappear when I zoom out.  Rotate view y*90, and the other
> lines disappear!

I don't get /exactly/ the same result as you posted in p.b.i, but it appears
that when you zoom out, the grid lines and the yellow cylinders become less than
one pixel wide.  When this happens, the rays traced can easily miss the object.

Using anti-aliasing can increase the chances of hitting the object.  To maximize
the chances, use +A0.0 with a high +R value; however this will slow down the
render.

An alternative is to scale the width of the grid lines in proportion to the
distance of the camera from the facility.