POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien life forms again : Re: Alien life forms again Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:41:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien life forms again
From: Pekka Aho
Date: 1 Mar 2014 10:45:00
Message: <web.5311ff69858e3f206d4f68260@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> QB? That stand for Quick Basic? Did you look at some other programming
> language that will allow you to have shorter, easier to code/maintain
> source code, and a smaller and faster executable? Also, QB is imfamous
> for exposing any vulnerability of the OS, and I don't think that you'll
> be able to port your programm to a Mac or Linux, at least without the
> need to use some emulator...

QB64 is available for Win, Mac and Linux, so making different versions wouldn't
become an issue. I've naturally tried to look at other programming languages as
well, but as I'm not a coder in the 1st place, I'd have to start from the very
basics and it'd take quite a long time to learn something completely new in a
way that I could realistically produce anything I've already come up so far with
my project. With QB64 I'm able to have use of my old Qbasic text adventure
templates from the past and just add the still images in the code with very
little changes in the end. Of course, probably any other programming language
would be a lot better hands down, but I have to keep things on a realistic level
as well, ie. what I can do with the very low level coding skills I have and the
programs/language(s) I've got rather painless access to. But ofc, everything is
still a work in progress and a lot of stuff can change along the road. Perhaps
I'll check on something else at some point again to give it a try. =)