POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : MATCHMOVING in POV-ray : Re: MATCHMOVING in POV-ray Server Time
15 May 2024 18:25:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MATCHMOVING in POV-ray
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 Feb 2014 19:05:00
Message: <web.530150c8d1c8d4afc2d977c20@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

> > Oops, what I meant to say was 'barrel distortion' (and 'pincushion
> > distortion' and etc.)
>
>    That looks like a new usage-case for the meshcam... if you can make a
> mesh that gives the same barrel distortion as your real camera.

That's a VERY intriguing idea, one that never occurred to me: to make my own
UN-distorter. (Then 'reversing' it later, to add the distortion back in.)
Wonderful! First, of course, I need to understand how the meshcam feature works
;-)

Prior to using that idea, I would need to do a useful little experiment: take a
large flat board (a real one), fill it with evenly-spaced horizontal and
vertical lines, and place it in front of my tripod-mounted video camera,
perpendicular to the lens axis. Then shoot a short video (maybe with some
pan/tilt/roll thrown into the mix.) This would give me a 'visual basis' for
determining the amount of distortion in the camera's lens.

The one *possible* problem I foresee with the meshcam idea (if I understand that
feature correctly) is that, during these un-distortions and re-distortions, the
POV-Ray camera might not make perfect 1:1 pixel reproductions of the original
images, causing possible moire effects or pixel jitter. (To explain that better:
I often use the VirtualDub/Deshaker combination to simply smooth out the motion
in my videos-- which necessarily means that the images are slightly 'moved
around' and then re-rendered. To do this accurately, it has a very sophisticated
interpolation mechanism that blends pixels with sub-pixel accuracy, so that the
'smoothed' video shows no moire effects at all. I don't know if that's possible
in POV-Ray, by using only interpolate 2 on the images.)