POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Parsing is my bottleneck : Parsing is my bottleneck Server Time
19 Apr 2024 11:00:57 EDT (-0400)
  Parsing is my bottleneck
From: Excentp
Date: 15 Feb 2014 02:35:01
Message: <web.52ff17c0f11b1145c116c8bf0@news.povray.org>
So I'm currently working on a project that involves creating animation frames
for a scene that contains one mesh composed of at least 100,000 triangles and
one light source.

Now the rendering times are great given the machine that I am suppose to work
with for this project. But I have identified a performance bottleneck that is
the reparsing of the scene every time a frame image is to be generated.

The mesh in my scene, however large it may be, is unchanged across all frames.
However, the light source location will vary across all frames.

I've looked up clockless animation, but that doesn't help me achieve my goals as
it is the light location that changes per frame not camera location. I've also
tried including the mesh information as an include file based on advice found in
older threads on this site but that still doesn't produce any noticeable
improvements.

So what I'm essentially asking is that is there any way to get povray to retain
the mesh information in memory to be used for all frames while only reparsing
the information for the light location?

P.S: I know about MegaPOV. It is unfortunate that persistent variables is not a
feature that is included in 3.7 and that the MegaPOV scrapped that feature at
one point.