POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Resuming option not working in v3.7? : Re: Resuming option not working in v3.7? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:58:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Resuming option not working in v3.7?
From: IceflakeCS
Date: 27 Jan 2014 11:50:00
Message: <web.52e68dd0293e7955617cd76f0@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 26/01/14 18:33, IceflakeCS wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I hope someone is able to help me.
> >
> > I am quite new to POV-Ray, although I have known about it for 15-20 years.
> >
> > When I'm trying to render a scene which takes more than a day to render, I use
> > the resuming option. I have read the documentation numerous of times, but I
> > can't really get it to work. In the QUICKRES.INI file (I have also tried the
> > command line options), I have added the following two lines:
> >
> > Continue_Trace=on
> > Create_Ini=rerun.ini
> >
> > When I start rendering, POV-Ray is creating the rerun.ini file as well as the
> > ...pov-state file. The Messages tab also claims "Continued trace......On".
> >
> > However, if I have stopped the rendering using the Stop button, and later
> > (doesn't matter if I have or have not closed POV-Ray) decide to continue, it
> > doesn't matter what I do. I can't resume from where I left off.
> >
> > I have tried both command line, like the documentation suggests:
> >
> > pvengine64.exe RERUN +C
> > (Also tried with rerun.ini instead of RERUN)
> >
> > I have tried opening the .pov file in POV-Ray and pushing Run, as well as
> > opening the created rerun.ini file pushing Run.
> >
> > Is there something I'm missing? Why doesn't POV-Ray continuing rendering my
> > scene from where it stopped earlier?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Lennie
> >

> Are you using photons and/or radiosity in your scene?
>
> I could be wrong (I usually am) but if you are, photons and radiosity
> will be recalculated when you restart your scene unless you have saved
> the photon and radiosity files and then reloaded them when you restart
> the scene. This (recalculation) will give the impression that the scene
> is starting from scratch again.
>
> BTW you don't need +C for the first part of your run, it's only needed
> for the second and subsequent runs.
>
> John
> --
> Protect the Earth
> It was not given to you by your parents
> You hold it in trust for your children

Thank you for your answer.

Even though I didn't know it at first, I was apparently using radiosity. The
thing is (at least with this render) I was using PoseRay, and PoseRay added the
following to the code:

#include "rad_def.inc

...and also

   #local p_start=64/max(image_width,image_height);
   #local p_end_final=2/max(image_width,image_height);
radiosity {
     pretrace_start p_start
     pretrace_end   p_end_final
     count 800
     nearest_count 5
     error_bound 0.05
     recursion_limit 1
     low_error_factor .5
     gray_threshold 0.0
     minimum_reuse 0.015
     brightness 1
     adc_bailout 0.01/2
}

...within the global settings.

So I added the Radiosity lines to the ini file, but I couldn't really get that
to work either. POV-Ray added the file, and started adding information to it.
But neither the radiosity file nor the pov-state file did grow very much in
size, and the resume function still didn't work as espected. Maybe I missed
something from the documentation, but I ended up removing the radiosity lines in
the .pov file instead. And I can't spot much differences between a render with
or without radiosity turned on.

Regards,

Lennie