POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : V 3.7 Timeout problem : Re: V 3.7 Timeout problem Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:49:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: V 3.7 Timeout problem
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Jan 2014 13:20:01
Message: <web.52dd67fa5143bb5ec275d1490@news.povray.org>
Ger <No.### [at] ThankYou> wrote:
> I had a render running that's pretty big (20GB mem use)
> and it fails with a "Operation timed out" problem.
>
> This shows up when the first frame is finished and it starts on the second frame
>
> Render Time:
>   Photon Time:      No photons
>   Radiosity Time:   No radiosity
>   Trace Time:       0 hours  9 minutes 25 seconds (565.473 seconds)
>               using 8 thread(s) with 4145.640 CPU-seconds total
>
> Rendering frame 11 of 3951
>
> Operation timed out.
> Operation timed out.
> Render failed
>
> My guess is that pov times out waiting for the swap somehow.
> I found the error text in pov_err.cpp (obviously), but can't find where it's
initiated.

If swapping takes way too long, the program may end up being waiting several
seconds. There are timeouts for the internal message passing that are designed
to catch situations when the receiving thread hangs. They are 10 seconds in wall
clock  time iirc. Try building with -DkDefaultTimeout=30 and see if it helps.

Thorsten