POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tips for patent-office-ready images : Tips for patent-office-ready images Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:14 EDT (-0400)
  Tips for patent-office-ready images
From: gregjohn
Date: 23 Oct 2013 09:50:01
Message: <web.5267d3314482c9737d25c810@news.povray.org>
In this post
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.52544b9544fa7cea37d25c810%40news.povray.org%3E/
I shared how some of my povray-generated bitmaps were used directly in an issued
U.S. Patent.

Use of povray was very useful in presenting my ideas (complex arrangements of
via chains), which I believe made it much easier to be approved at my company
and the Patent Office.

Unfortunately, the images look like they've been through a fax machine. Even if
that's not literally true, whatever process was used to go from my digital
submission to my company's lawyers to the final product in the patent caused
most of the information to be lost.   I was of the impression that I'd seen
other patents where the bitmaps were faithfully represented.

Q: What tricks would you use in povray to make a great 3D rendering "fax-machine
proof"?