POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Lightning : Re: Lightning Server Time
26 Jun 2024 22:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightning
From: MichaelJF
Date: 21 Oct 2013 11:35:01
Message: <web.526548d7b67aff75ff146f9f0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> The epsilon value used by POV-Ray is larger due to some conciderations,
> like the need to raise some values to the third power in several places,
> and some times even more, 1e-6^ 3 = 1e-18...

Thanks for the explanation, I feared for that. Meanwhile I remedied my issue
with additional storage and premultiplying all values concerned a little bit. As
far as I can judge so far, this approach can yield a fine result in 2D with POV
but one needs a lot of patience since only a brute force algorithm can be
implemented with POV. In 3D one will need a compiler and pointer structures to
overcome the space and time requirements.

Best regards,
Michael