POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : shadow problem : Re: shadow problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:37:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shadow problem
From: rodv92
Date: 30 Sep 2013 17:50:00
Message: <web.5249f0ff6a1328145d50475e0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> >> hello group. I hope you can help me.
> >>
> >> i have a fairly complex scene using lightsysIVc and one sun (light
> >> source)
> >> i use no radiosity
> >> i use ambient_light 0.5
> >> i use #version 3.7
> >> i replaced ambient with emission on some objects
> >>
> >> the problem is objects where shadows are cast on, do not display any fine
> >> texture details anymore on the cast shadow side. they appear as
> >> completely
> >> uniform matte pigments.
> This is the isue.
>

> >> More problematic, i tried to use no_shadow to get around the issue.
> >> Does not work, shadow is still cast ! (i applied no_shadow to the
> >> object, then
> >> inside the first level CSG, then on all last level objects of the
> >> nested CSG, no
> >> effect)
> This is an attempted workaround mis-using an unrelated feature.
>

> >> something seems broken. please advise.
> >
> >    Seems Warp and Alain didn't get to the real issue... are you using
> > the no_shadow modifier on the object casting the shadow? (placing it on
> > the object receiving the shadow will not work).
> >
> >    Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Jaime
>
> Using no_shadow was an attempt to get details in the shadowed area as a
> workaround.
>
> The original isue is "no detail in the shadowed area".

Hello, thanks for all your responses. indeed there is a normal texture
simulating concrete, so i understand that i will lose detail.

And finally, I managed to appply no_shadow to the CSG, my bad ! : there was a
difference lingering in the code with only one object that i managed not to see.
i removed the offending difference and now everything is ok (no_shadow works
again !)

thank you !