POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Rendering extremely large images : Re: Rendering extremely large images Server Time
18 Jun 2024 09:44:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering extremely large images
From: Atlaste
Date: 1 Sep 2013 17:05:01
Message: <web.5223abe4a03553e0ebcb0460@news.povray.org>
> Large (the criteria to use a temporary file instead of 100% ram) is
> defined via the Max_Image_Buffer_Memory (+MI) parameter (default to 128,
> number of megabytes, uncompressed floating points of 5 values, above
> which a file is created)
>
> So, for 38400x21600, you can force to stay in memory with either:
> MI=0
> or any MI > 15820
>
> Beware, you need more than 16 Gigabytes of memory to avoid the
> swap-deadland.
>
> The file, when it exist, depends on the system:
> * windows: GetTempPath(), extended with a povwin subdirectory if
> possible (else raw value of GetTempPath() )
> ** GetTempPath checks in order : environment variables TMP, TEMP,
> USERPROFILE, and the windows directory.

Ah, this is great info, exactly what I was looking for! 16 GB is not much of a
problem -- and even if it was, now I can simply do the math and work it out.

Also the info about the temp file is quite useful. My server has a solid state
disk, so if I can use that for all pov-ray activities, it'll probably save a lot
of time.

I'll give it a try, many thanks for all the useful info!

Stefan.