POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Finding locus of intersection : Finding locus of intersection Server Time
5 May 2024 05:44:28 EDT (-0400)
  Finding locus of intersection
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Aug 2013 19:55:01
Message: <web.520ebbce68b69c1573fc9ebb0@news.povray.org>
POV-Ray obviously knows "where" two objects intersect.

Is there a way to get that information?
I worked out - mathematically - the points where 2 circles intersect.
But doing 2 ellipses is apparently WAY tougher.

The end goal is to get information to use in positioning things or to pass along
to trace().
So, for example, if I wanted to define two circles, how would I know at what
point or two that they intersect at, without doing all the math?

It seems to me that without already knowing what exact point to have trace look
at, you'd have to do a heck of a lot of "scanning" to narrow down the point of
interest.

But then again, there may be an easy was that I'm just overlooking.