POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : recursively defined objects and memory : Re: recursively defined objects and memory Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: recursively defined objects and memory
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 14 Aug 2013 15:00:00
Message: <web.520bd282e896405b45eb5620@news.povray.org>
"Fractracer" <lg.### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > And no matter what you do, you won't be able to get that many with POV on any
> > system available on this planet today. Even with references, and no
> > transformations, it would take 8 petabytes (8192 terabytes) just to store the
> > references. Realistically you might get 2^30 spheres on a PC, but not with a
> > regular Windows (you need the a server variant, desktop variants only support 64
> > GB of RAM) as you will probably need 256 to 512 GB of RAM for it. Or you need a
> > lot of fast swap space.
> >
> > Thorsten
>
> If I am not wrong, Windows7-32 bits can only have 4GB of memory, while Win7-64
> bits can have 192 GB with pro edition.

You are right about Win 64, I confused it ith the PAE limit:, for Windows 32 bit
systems the limit is 64 GB if using PAE.

As for the 192 GB, iirc there is a default 128 GB per process limit on available
memory (meaning swap wont help). The server version upper limit is 4 TB of
physical memory, btw.

Thorsten