POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modeling torsional stress - shear - strain : Re: Modeling torsional stress - shear - strain Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:26:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modeling torsional stress - shear - strain
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 9 Aug 2013 14:20:00
Message: <web.5205321db9ca4379328783aa0@news.povray.org>
> I'd like to model the shearing strain in an upright simple cylinder / tube.
> While I'm working on the physics equations, with text outputs, I'm thinking
> ahead (because designing models is much like playing chess against the render
> engine) and want to graphically show the strain levels as colors.
>
> Other than somehow using a pigment or normal map, I'm struggling with how to
> model a static color field that the object "moves" through, yet shows the
> initial state as a solid color.
>
> Preliminary idea include:
>
> Use a ripple pigment map and then make the cylinder a lathe or SOR, with the
> diameter proportional to the strain, then try to make it look round again.
> Can I do this in reverse and "pinch" a cylindrical pigment map inwards?
>
> Stack a pile of short concentric tubes to resemble the whole tube, and declare
> the pigment as a variable, such that the rotation angle and distance from the
> center at that point changes the color?
>
> Draw a grid or wireframe around the cylinder's surface, and model the twist by
> using fhelix1 after the twist angle > 0, and having the helix intersect a radial
> pigment map.
>

> Thanks!

Model the cylinder as a mesh and adjust the color of each triangle based on the
offset of it's vertices from where they should be.

you might be able to use a mesh camera to "bake" the texture (not sure how to do
this, but what I've read suggests it's possible.) and apply it to the cylinder
primitive.

regards,
A.D.B.