POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some Wiki Cleanup : Re: Some Wiki Cleanup Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some Wiki Cleanup
From: MichaelJF
Date: 29 Jun 2013 13:40:01
Message: <web.51cf1afa7b9ae676169ce8c0@news.povray.org>
James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> On 06/28/2013 02:40 PM, MichaelJF wrote:
> > I considered your answers a while and decided to withdraw from my offer to help
> > here. I hope, we are a community here and no one has to give "directives" as mr
> > tried.
>
> Well I think Maurice is a pretty reasonable fellow and I'm sure he
> didn't mean it as it was taken ... I think partly to blame here as I
> felt the methodical approach was best. He was working under my guidance,
> so perhaps if I step back and let you two hash it out you might reconsider.

Hi Jim,

yes I will reconsider. But I have some remarks. First: within a Wiki every user
has to have the same rights. That is one of the central ideas of Wikis. No one
has to give directives to others. If a user changed an entry usually he gives a
comment at the discussion page and another user can restore the changes (and
comment about it at the discussion page as well).

And I think that not every link is really worth to be restored by every costs.
You have to look at the content. Some are redundant or trivial or covered by
other entries, or simply outdated by newer and better approaches to a topic.
E.g. Sonyas trees were fine at the time she posted it, but nowadays we have
Arbaro, POV-Tree and other tools to create trees, which are much better. Why
preserve the old link? And do efforts to find it? Or for the 3D models section.
There you can simply eliminate links since there are a lot of new ones giving
other free models.

And... I think you know that I'm not a rookie, who offered help here.

Best regards,
Michael