POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurface: max_gradient warning? : Re: Isosurface: max_gradient warning? Server Time
27 Apr 2024 16:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface: max_gradient warning?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 22 Jun 2013 15:55:01
Message: <web.51c600b422807ec9540235480@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> 1. Have you an actual isosurface to provide us some basic testing ?

This problem shows in Mr. Pokorny's isosurface (the same scene as FS#294).

This is an isosurface I reported last August:

  isosurface
  { function { f_sphere (x, 0, z, (2660 - 40*y) / 9) }
    contained_by { box { <-80, 31, -24>, <-128, 56, 24> } }
    pigment { rgb <1, 0.75, 0> }
    scale 1/128
    rotate -35 * x
    translate y
  }

I had this problem following the #include of a complicated .inc file, but I was
not able to reproduce the problem in a simplified scene.  I have reconstructed a
scene with that same .inc file today, but did not see the problem.  (I'd done so
much editing and new scene creation since then that I cannot identify the
original problem file.)

If it's a thread safety issue, my inconsistent experiences would make sense.  If
I encounter the problem again, I will be sure to try it with +WT1.

One difference between today and last August is that last August I had a single
core using 4 threads, and today I have (what appear to be) 8 cores using 8
threads.