POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Very big time difference of a render : Re: Very big time difference of a render Server Time
29 May 2024 02:54:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very big time difference of a render
From: MichaelJF
Date: 19 Jun 2013 16:15:01
Message: <web.51c2113991e1715f2ede600b0@news.povray.org>
On 18-6-2013 20:43, MichaelJF wrote:

>>> It is a bad way! If animation?
>>
>> Yes in case of an animation this isn't a good idea. In case of a still it is the
>> way to go.

>I do not see the problem in the case of an animation, as Poseray is only
>used once, before any animation is started...

I think we have a misunderstanding here. My idea was, that the animation is done
within Blender. Blender will produce a POV-Scene for every frame and you have to
pass every Blender output frame through PoseRay, what is a little bit
inconvient. If the animation is done with POV you have to pass only the initial
scene through PoseRay. But I fear no Blender user will do so, since Blender is
designed to do animations. POV can do animations but it is not designed for it.

> But that leads us away from the thread's topic doesn't it?  ;-)

Yes, in a way. But I judge the original topic as solved. So we can drift off a
little bit.

>> Thomas mentioned problems with bad defined meshes which is true in general, but
>> not with your simple ones here. You have only a cube and such but not Lucy. I
>> think he only tried to give you an other hint, what could be got wrong from his
>> long time experience with POV.

>Just to say that POV-Ray and meshes (mesh2 in particular) work very well
>together :-)

Yes indeed, and it can handle bad welded meshes. I understand this as meshes
which having repeated vertices, edges or overlapping faces. I cannot see a
performance breakdown at the scale mentioned here. Best known example for
repeated vertices is the sky dome created by Lightsys "CIE Skylight". I never
had a problem with it.

Best regards,
Michael