POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Cyrillics! How to use? : Re: Cyrillics! How to use? Server Time
19 Jun 2024 15:38:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cyrillics! How to use?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 14 Jun 2013 18:45:01
Message: <web.51bb9c2137292b4178641e0c0@news.povray.org>
> LanuHum wrote:
>
> > How to use ways and the files called in the native language?
> > It is always convenient to call textures, materials and objects in language
> > which very badly you understand.
>
> As with most programming languages, I think this is not possible.
> Syntactic identifiers are usually restricted to underscore, digits,
> and the letters A-Z or a-z.

True enough.  Alas, the computer was not invented in Russia, and Americans got
first dibs on the language of the languages.

> For use in text strings (e.g. to render kyrillic text {} object)
> you can set the "charset" option to "utf8". You might even use this
> to store objects in a "dictionary" based on an array of objects and
> an array of (kyrillic) names, but that is not too convenient either.

LanuHum did not say what operating system he uses, but IIRC, the PovWin IDE does
not support Unicode.  With the Unicode-based editor that I use in Linux, it is
no problem to paste Cyrillic characters into the scene file, and the POV-Ray
back end handles them flawlessly (regardless of the OS), but looking at the file
with the PovWin IDE, the characters look like gibberish.