POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Artists - 3d painting (WIP) : Re: Artists - 3d painting (WIP) Server Time
14 May 2024 01:12:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Artists - 3d painting (WIP)
From: MichaelJF
Date: 18 May 2013 12:25:00
Message: <web.5197aa67544d69f86a9b72610@news.povray.org>
Sean Day <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:

> I think an L-system would work well for growing the moss plants
> themselves not so sure about using it for positioning them on the rocks
> though. Still could be worth investigating.

I think this is possible with an L-System. You need an L-System which is open
and has random rules at least. Then you can introduce a rule which replaces a
stem-segment with the same stem-segment and a new bud with an open parameter.
Within the processing of the open parameters you introduce a second random rule
which find a free place at the rocks e.g. by trace and place the bud there, or
just place a new branch at the existing stem.

This should be possible with the L-System I used for growing plants to light
(http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/thread/%3Cweb.5105b31b81d10535153a49f10%40news.povray.org%3E/).
The source to that is in the p.b.s-f. But one must spend some more effort into
the modelling of the plants...

Best regards,
Michael