POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help filling in radial gradient colors : Re: Help filling in radial gradient colors Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help filling in radial gradient colors
From: Kenneth
Date: 15 May 2013 03:00:01
Message: <web.51933182aceea820c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I have a shape that is a sideways extrusion of a hemisphere, and I want to fill
> it in such that it goes blue-red-blue radially outward, looking like colorful
> fog (media) is filling the shape. I've tried using the spherical density/color
> map, but the colors overlap each other so that the blue-red-blue just ends up
> looking like purple. I've resorted to using just solid colors, but am not happy
> with the result. In my code I'm referring to the "sensitive slice." If you could
> help me make this shape I'd much appreciate it, it's for a paper on magnetic
> resonance force microscopy.

Playing around with your code and rendering it, it's difficult to understand
what the color result is that your looking for. I assume that you don't really
want 'individual infinitely-thin shells' representing the colors. Are the many
nested isosurfaces just an expedient way of making those shells (that is, rather
than filling *one* overall shape with, say, media?) And do you want the sliced
surface of the hemisphere to appear 'solid'?

Sorry if this seems like a lot of questions; I'm just trying to get an idea of
how to simplify you example, to reduce it to a single problem. (I commented out
some extraneous stuff--the coils and the 'substrate' box--but I'm still not
clear about what the end result should be.)

Your original media idea would seem to be the way to go (*if* you want a
translucent look to the color changes.) But media, by nature, is also going to
produce the (unwanted} color blending--red/blue to purple, as seen by the
camera. Unless you use much more opague media, like the scattering type (with
extinction.)

BTW, each isosurface block in your #while loop, when rendered as an individual
10-unit 'group,' looks dark (either by design or not.) When all the elements are
rendered together, it's kind of a hodge-podge, visually. Perhaps you could
re-post a trimmed down version of the code?