POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Output_File_Name -- quoted string question : Re: Output_File_Name -- quoted string question Server Time
26 Apr 2024 12:56:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Output_File_Name -- quoted string question
From: Kenneth
Date: 12 May 2013 12:55:01
Message: <web.518fc73cf34be07c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> Try
>
> Output_File_Name="c:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\My
> Documents\\POV-Ray\\v3.6\\tests\\"

This actually works even better; the double slashes eliminate the 'unending
string' behavior that the single slashes produce. Using this particular syntax
never occurred to me, though; the docs don't mention it.

But your suggestion gave me an idea: I'm guessing that the most 'important'
slash is the final one, preceding the last double-quote. My goofy intuition,
anyway, based on something I read in the docs. So I tried it a third way--
single slashes *except* at the end-- and it works as well as using all double
slashes:

Output_File_Name="c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My
Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6\tests\\"

No error message, and no 'unending strings.'  Great!

Many thanks, to you and to Thomas. Mystery solved!