POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #read / #write docs--a suggested clarification : Re: #read / #write docs--a suggested clarification Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #read / #write docs--a suggested clarification
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Apr 2013 05:05:01
Message: <web.5178f1558fc1c1dac2d977c20@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> Most peoples realy have no clue what a "handle" or a "pointer" is in
> computer languare or programming. Also, when learning programming, it's
> often one of the most arduous and confusing topic...

I would certainly agree with that--using myself as an example. I would assume
that people come to POV-Ray from a wide variety of disciplines, not just
'computer programming.' Art, or maybe just a simple desire to reproduce in 3D
what's in 'the mind's eye.'(My own background is really in mechanical design,
and most of my work has been done without computer help--although I do have
*some* rudimentary knowledge of programming, from 'the old days.')

Of course, using a code-writing program like POV-Ray does require some knowledge
of (or ability with) logical concepts, as well as some (not-too-difficult) math.
But learning the program should follow relatively easily from there--*if* the
learning process is not short-circuited by unclear instructions/ documentation/
etc. "Make the learning process easy!" is my philosophy.