POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Windows 8 : Re: Windows 8 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:29:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows 8
From: MichaelJF
Date: 19 Apr 2013 17:25:01
Message: <web.5171b5e1c40b10bf30befd9c0@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
> "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> >  With the partitioning my experience so far is that it is
> > better to have Windows do it itself. Usually this works.
>
> This was not possible for me.  Windows had conveniently placed some immovable
> blocks near the far end of the disk, and adamantly refused to shrink the
> partition.

Yes, Microsoft tries to do that, but I never experiecened this at that scale. As
I mentioned my last Suse Installation was some years ago. I experienced that
Windows allowed for only a part of the hard drive for other systems due to this
block issue and occupied much more than was needed to run Windows, but it was
quiet enough to run Suse (if I remember right, windows "needed" a third of a
Terabyte-harddrive, so 2/3 were free for Linux). May be they have changed this
policy.

One of the reasons why I didn't tried Suse again with my last private machine
was that especially the problem of handedness wasn't really implented with Suse.
One can chance the mouse from right to left within the kde but not all programs
(even kde-programs) uses this settings. So you have a GUI which is left handed
but some programs (e.g. the file manager) are still right handed, ignoring the
kde settings completelly. I experienced this again just yesterday with an older
nachine I have Suse (11.3) running. But since I was trained to be right handed
during my youth and experienced later that I was left handed originally, I can
cope with this but it is not convenient.

Best regards,
Michael