POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Windows 8 : Re: Windows 8 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows 8
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 19 Apr 2013 12:15:02
Message: <web.51716cc3c40b10bf78641e0c0@news.povray.org>
"MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>  With the partitioning my experience so far is that it is
> better to have Windows do it itself. Usually this works.

This was not possible for me.  Windows had conveniently placed some immovable
blocks near the far end of the disk, and adamantly refused to shrink the
partition.

OTOH, it /was/ necessary to shrink the partition from within Windows /before/
starting the Linux installation, hence my need for a third-party tool.

In a Web page explaining GRUB, the author mentioned that Windows assumes that
it's the only operating system on Earth.  (Micro$oft can afford to do that.
Back when I was working in NE Massachusetts, not far from Wang Labs, Wang took
the attitude that it was Micro$oft's responsibility to make its software
compatible with Wang, and not the other way around.  HA!  See where Wang is
today.)