POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Windows 8 : Re: Windows 8 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows 8
From: MichaelJF
Date: 18 Apr 2013 15:05:03
Message: <web.517043b7c40b10bfaac53320@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
> "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> > Usually one gets no system disks nowadays but has to burn a system mirror to
> > disk as soon as you have a new machine. Of course I did that. Since Suse wasn't
> > able to repartition  my hard drive I allowed it full control (what means erasing
> > windows completely. I restored it later from this disks). The Problem with Suse
> > seems to be one with the grafic engine. I only could get rid of the Grub by
> > installing another Linux Version (Fedora) and then I was able to restore
> > Windows. Fedora showed the same problems as Suse having a split screen after
> > first reboot. May be I must look for an option to invoke sax during the
> > Installation.
>
> I used EasyUS (www.partition-tool.com) to shrink the main Windows partition
> before installing Linux.  After that, openSUSE installed with peaceful
> coexistence.

Thanks again for the hint. In the mean time I found what I was looking for
within windows. The preferences for handedness are only available within the
"Desktop"-tile but not generally at this new start page with this awful tiles.
So I ever run into the "devices" section and there into a request to register a
Microsoft account. May be I was a Little bit to confused by the new optic to
overlook this simple button or may be I suffered from a severe brain damage. But
since it is very useful to have both systems running I will give Suse another
try at the weekend.

My previous and now defunct machine was the first for over some 20 years I had
with no Suse installed. With the partitioning my experience so far is that it is
better to have Windows do it itself. Usually this works. But I had more pressing
interests last days and now I will relax a Little bit.

Best regards,
Michael