POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone? : Re: POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 17 Apr 2013 15:40:00
Message: <web.516efa5d2234515778641e0c0@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> Also I don't think any additional permission would be needed from
> authors simply to index the images in a different way. By uploading to
> p.b.i you are accepting that the images will be accessible by the public
> and sites like Google will index them.

Sounds reasonable, although IANAL.  How ever, it must be noted (and this is as
true of p.b.i as it is of The Google) that an implied permission to index a work
does not imply permission to /use/ it.  I wouldn't think that I should have to
point this out, but many people seem to be under the delusion that posting a
work to the Internet puts it in the public domain.

Posters have often given explicit permission to use images as wallpapers, for
example, but this would seem to fall under Fair Use or Fair Dealing in many
countries, anyway.