POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Rendering time using animations : Rendering time using animations Server Time
29 Apr 2024 09:51:47 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering time using animations
From: nimda
Date: 30 Mar 2013 13:00:07
Message: <web.515717f612820c0238fbe2840@news.povray.org>
Hello people,

I had trouble with the rendering time of frames. If a scene needs, let's say,
ten minutes to render then an animation of 6000 frames would take approximately
41 days, which is a bit too much for only 4 minutes of movie (at 25 fps). But in
general the objects needing a lot of rendering time do not move, and on the
other hand the animated objects do not need a lot of time consuming details as
the eye of the viewer has not enough time to inspect the object thoroughly.
So I came upon the following idea: Instead of parsing and rendering the same
objects over and over again, let's just do it once, capture the scene in an
image file and use it as an image map on a z-plane. A bit like the scene in a
theater. This basically works fine but the animated objects
1)  don't cast shadows,
2)  do not disappear behind the immobile objects.

I have a workaround for both of these problems in some cases, but is is not
always possible.

For the first problem I thought of an horizontal plane with the "no-image"
object modifier but it doesn't capture shadows, the same thing happens when I
use the "Clear" color pigment. A good solution is to only recreate the "ground"
for each frame. In general grounds do not need a lot of detail, and
sophisticated objects like buildings, musical instruments etc. are standing
upright.

For the second problem I see as a solution to only rebuild the complex objects
(or only parts of them) for those frames in which the disappearance occurs.

I wonder if anybody has a better idea about this?