POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Batch/command-line render in Windows : Re: Batch/command-line render in Windows Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Batch/command-line render in Windows
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 20 Mar 2013 13:15:00
Message: <web.5149edc169ab0bc478641e0c0@news.povray.org>
Timwi <pov### [at] timwide> wrote:
> On 16/03/2013 18:27, clipka wrote:
> >
> > As for "massively" inconveniencing "all" Windows users: Most Windows
> > users have been happy to run their renders from within the GUI, and
> > Windows never really made batch processing easy anyway, so people
> > requiring batch processing would typically turn towards Linux in the
> > first place.
>
> Only opinionated Linux users can seriously think that :(

Call me opinionated, then.

> There is nothing about Windows that makes command-line stuff like batch
> processing *so* hard that it would be worth it to install, run and learn
> Linux.

I used to hate Unix.  Then I got a job working with IBM's AIX operating system,
and it grew on me.  Working with a Windows PC, I found myself downloading Gnu
tools to do the things I took for granted with AIX (and still not able to use
those tools as effectively as under a Unix-like system).  Then when my XP system
crashed, I upgraded to the super-duper fantabulous Windows 7, which I'm sure has
taken months off my life expectancy.  With Micro$haft's concept of
"user-friendly" driving me batty, and me downloading Gnu tools anyway, I figured
I might as well try Linux.

I'm much happier with Linux.  But I believe in freedom of religion, and one has
the right to choose Windows.