POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Batch/command-line render in Windows : Re: Batch/command-line render in Windows Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Batch/command-line render in Windows
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 15 Mar 2013 17:05:01
Message: <web.51438c1969ab0bc478641e0c0@news.povray.org>
Timwi <pov### [at] timwide> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the Windows version of POV-ray comes only with a GUI.
>
> What do I need to do to get a command-line-compatible renderer?

I used batch files like this for Windows batch renders:

setlocal
set PATH=%PATH%;"C:\Users\Ricky Callwood\AppData\Local\Programs\POV-Ray\3.7\bin"
:
start /w /min pvengine-sse2 /nr /exit +imyscenefile1.pov
start /w /min pvengine-sse2 /nr /exit +imyscenefile2.pov
start /w /min pvengine-sse2 /nr /exit +imyscenefile3.pov
start /w /min pvengine-sse2 /nr /exit 'myinifile[section1]'
start /w /min pvengine-sse2 /nr /exit 'myinifile[section2]'
start /w /min pvengine-sse2 /nr /exit 'myinifile[section3]'
:
endlocal

The splash screen still showed, but it worked.  (Annoying, yes, but the POV team
has its reasons for insisting on the splash screen.)  You would set the PATH to
whatever is appropriate for your system.

Note that I used the /nr switch to keep it from wasting time loading the editor
windows.  If you don't want to lose your editor windows, you must keep one GUI
session open during the batch run and set Options | Keep Single Instance to OFF.