POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Multi-Stage Animation Macro test : Re: Multi-Stage Animation Macro test Server Time
2 May 2024 07:08:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multi-Stage Animation Macro test
From: waggy
Date: 12 Mar 2013 21:35:00
Message: <web.513fd6a6a7adf00921be1230@news.povray.org>
Nice work!

I've recently been doing some POV-Ray animation, as well. I use a different .pov
file for each scene, and derive scene clocks from the global clock. I've also
found it helpful to define a "transition" clock between scenes. It runs [-1,1],
and both scene files on either side of the transition key frame (when the
transition clock is zero) are loaded during the transition time period. The
scene transition clock is used to make scene "transition in" and "transition
out" effects.

I like to upload a lossless video. I don't know if mencoder supports it, but
this seems to work well using ffmpeg (Linux version). The compression seems
pretty good. It compressed 322MiB of gzipped PNG source frames to a 41 MiB
lossless video. Youtube seems to handle this lossless encoding fine.

ffmpeg -b 1000k -r 30 -f image2 -i FrameFolder/FrameName%04d.png \
 -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -preset veryslow \
 -tune animation -qp 0 AnimName.mkv

Unfortunately, few players can deal with the lossless H.264 encoding, so I
experimented until I found a high-quality lossy combination that seems to play
ok under stock Win7, Mac, and Linux. (Compression is similar to above.)

ffmpeg -b 1000k -r 30 -f image2 -i FrameFolder/FrameName%04d.png \
 -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -preset veryslow \
 -profile baseline -tune animation -crf 1 AnimName.mp4

Here's what I'm working on. It currently has five short scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3i1ioAvBA

I still have a lot of work to do on it.