POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scattering media with a white background (w/ images) : Scattering media with a white background (w/ images) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Scattering media with a white background (w/ images)
From: Brad
Date: 10 Mar 2013 13:15:01
Message: <web.513cbed9ebda39e9c1b4166f0@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm trying to create an image with scattering media, on a white background. This
topic seems to be similar to that posted by someone in 2002
(http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3CXns92C3BC15D86CCseed7%40povray.org%3E/),
but I did  not see a solution in that thread.

I can create the image I want with no problem with a BLACK background (see this
image: http://tinypic.com/r/1sh8gw/6). While my input *pov file is rather large,
below are the (I think) essential elements of creating that image:
---------------------------------------
#declare color_light = rgb <2.00, 2.00, 2.00>;
#declare color_background = rgb <0.00, 0.00, 0.00>;

light_source { light_location color color_light media_interaction off shadowless
 scale light_scale }background { color color_background }

light_source { <80, 15.516/2, 65.259> color color_light spotlight point_at <5*43
..628/6., 15.516/2, 65.259/2> radius 10 falloff 5 tightness 20 media_attenuation
on}

box {
   <0, 0, 0>, <80, 15.51625, 80>
   texture {pigment { color rgbt <1,1,1,1>}} hollow interior { media {scattering
 {1, 0.07 extinction 0.01} intervals 5 samples 300,300}}}

I wanted to make a white background, so I made color_background rgb < 1,1,1> and
then tried to modify the spotlight light_source by setting the spotlight color
to something like red. However, this is what the outputted image looks like in
this case: http://tinypic.com/r/10prshz/6.

You can see in that image that there is some-sort of red spotlight action going
on, in that the atomic positions in the spotlight have some mixture of red color
on them, but definitely the image does not have the scattering effects present
with the white background.

What am I missing? Thanks for any pointers you can give.

Best,
Brad