POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Options for drawing curves on surfaces : Re: Options for drawing curves on surfaces Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Options for drawing curves on surfaces
From: Ryan Budney
Date: 8 Mar 2013 18:55:05
Message: <web.513a79fa27497f371343b2e50@news.povray.org>
> You may look at isosurface. They are often faster than parametrics for
> the same actual shape. In your case, adding "open" should be preferable
> so that the container don't show.
>
> You may also look at the quadric.

Ah, okay I think I see where you're going here.  If you view a hyperbola as:

y^2-x^2 = 1 with z=0

then the surface "near" the hyperbola is:

(y^2-x^2-1)^2 + z^4 = 1/10 or any similar small constant on the right.

I could do this with an isosurface object, I guess with a 4th order polynomial.

I'm not seeing how a quadric would suffice.