POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge : Re: Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge
From: Sohcahtoa
Date: 6 Mar 2013 17:15:02
Message: <web.5137bec56a8d59d3b097553a0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> Looking at your sample, you could use a single large block for the
> water, or even a simple plane.
> A large block would be dimentioned to cover the surface of the water
> area and be thick enough to reatch the bottom of the "lake".
>
> If you need/want to have dry openings, you'll need to cut some holes
> using a difference.
>
> Another way would be to make some stacked prisms, one for each layer and
> merge them. That way, you don't need to cut holes, but would get longer
> rendering times.

In that sample scene, yes.

Are you familiar with the game Minecraft?  I'm writing a program that converts a
world created in Minecraft into a POV-Ray scene.  Where the water blocks are can
be somewhat random, and not necessarily in large chunks that can easily be
turned into a single large box or plane.  Bodies of water can be as small as a
single block, or spanning miles across.  Their shape will vary just as much.