POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge : Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge
From: Sohcahtoa
Date: 4 Mar 2013 19:00:01
Message: <web.513534afb0e29749f50b2dcb0@news.povray.org>
I'm currently working on a program that converts a Minecraft world into a
POV-Ray scene, and I'm having real trouble with water.

To make water blocks act like a solid object so that I don't see the sides of
each block, I take all the water blocks in the world and put them into a CSG
merge object, which in theory should make them solid.  Unfortunately, it isn't
working out that way.

If each block in the merge is exactly 1 unit wide, then I get lots of odd pixels
where the water meets the land underwater.  This is understandable, since the
water block edge is coincident with the land block.  So as a work-around, I
tried making each water block slightly large (1.02 blocks wide), but this
creates odd seams at the surface of the water.

Example renders are at http://imgur.com/a/rCDCG

A couple notes about my scene:
- Vertical runs of the same block type are saved as a single tall box object to
reduce the number of objects in the scene.
- The hole in the world is from an optimization that stops looking for blocks
below a certain y-coordinate, again, to reduce objects.

Any ideas how to fix the coincident surface problem where the water meets land
without create a coincident surface problem at the surface of the water without
manually creating a mesh?