POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes : Re: Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes Server Time
1 Jun 2024 19:55:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes
From: Kenneth
Date: 1 Mar 2013 01:10:07
Message: <web.51304158823c8519c2d977c20@news.povray.org>

> If you put a proper math-style 2D coordinate system (X axis right, Y
> axis "top") onto paper, and then add +Z as height above ground, that's a
> left-handed system to me.

Egads, then +Z becomes -Z in POV-Ray!  :-O

But you're right, of course.

My own concept of the axes (putting aside what I learned in school) is kind of
an odd one--or maybe not so odd?  I've been sketching things all my life
(mechanical stuff mostly, in semi-perspective views), and 'right' is +x
naturally, but z is *mostly* INTO the page, and y is *mostly* up, but kind of
sticking OUT of the page a little. (Similar to an isometric view when drafting,
but not as extreme.) Maybe this is why POV's left-handed system was such an easy
learn for me.