POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes : Re: Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes Server Time
9 Jun 2024 12:52:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes
From: Kenneth
Date: 28 Feb 2013 16:10:01
Message: <web.512fc650823c8519c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
Friedrich Lohmueller <Fri### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

> 'right-handed' or 'left-handed' does not necessarily mean y=up or z=up
>   (or may be also x = up ! - Why not ?? ).
> It only means, that to detect the used sense of rotation, we can help
> us by looking at our right or left hand!

Yes, that's true of course. But using an 'unconventional' handedness system
would cause trouble later IMO, because *everything* in POV-Ray is set up for the
left-handed way (or maybe its *own* left-handed way.) It seems to me that even
an experienced user would have to change over to the 'POV-Ray way' of doing
things at some point, if the coding of scenes is going to make any sense. I
can't even imagine the constant mental re-orientation that would be required
otherwise! ;-)  Perhaps some people CAN do that; but it sounds like a lot of
extra work, conceptually.

> I'll try to integrate something like this in as many files as possible.
> Re-coding all is not possible and also not the best way!
> It's also a good thing, that the bundle of demo scene files shows
> the variety of the ways, how to use the 'camera'...
> POV-Ray is able to do also very inconventional things.
> That's very good!

Yes, I do agree. When I was thinking about all of this, it occurred to me that
the 'unconventional' cameras do show that almost anything is possible in
POV-Ray!

Everything should be OK, with just a little 'warning' to new users.