POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC7 sanity check : Re: RC7 sanity check Server Time
27 Apr 2024 15:37:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RC7 sanity check
From: Tim Riley
Date: 16 Feb 2013 19:05:02
Message: <web.51201dedb270f601ee9b21c20@news.povray.org>
> On 16/02/2013 09:13, Tim Riley wrote:
> > Installed it (and let it remove RC6) and found that it has a problem with files
> > containing spaces; checking the registry (this is Win7-SP1) shows a few
> > problems:
>
> Good find - thanks for pointing this out. I've fixed this and put
> another version of the setup in the same location; please check to see
> if it's OK for you now.

Installed the new version on another machine that had RC6. Everything seemed to
go okay and the space problem is resolved.

> FWIW I also enhanced the code that handles the registry keys to save
> and restore a little better.
>
> > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\pvengine64.exe - still points to RC6 unless it
> > should have been deleted at installation (or removal of RC6).
>
> I'm a bit unsure if I should remove associations automatically added
> by windows. Yes, it would make sense to remove them, but up to now
> I've tried to avoid having the uninstaller touch anything that the
> installer didn't create.

I had no way of knowing what the installer created and what Windows creates
after the fact, so I just listed everything that didn't look right. I don't mind
poking around in the registry, but 99% of it is totally foreign to me (make that
99.99%).

> I'll have a look at what Microsoft recommends (if anything) before I
> make any further changes.
>
> regards,
>
> -- Chris

Thanks for all of your work on this over the years.