POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Looking for a formula : Re: Looking for a formula Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking for a formula
From: Kenneth
Date: 15 Feb 2013 00:45:06
Message: <web.511dca2e24d8606ec2d977c20@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> It might be even easier...

This works; but I forgot to specifically mention that the 2nd 'line' (the
cylinder) is the object that's put into the trace() command, for it to work on;
perhaps that was obvious.

> ...but using a *very small*-diameter cylinder may make that computation
> unnecessary, from a practical standpoint.)

I've found that there's actually a limit to how small the radius can be. Trace()
has a problem working with an object below about six least-significant digits in
size. (Like, .000001) Seems to depend on the particular direction vector used.
Probably a result of ONE of trace's <x,y,z> computations dropping below a
certain precision 'threshold',