POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: Humans in Ancient Costumes : Re: Request: Humans in Ancient Costumes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: Humans in Ancient Costumes
From: MichaelJF
Date: 1 Feb 2013 12:15:01
Message: <web.510bf707d2aa29bf957077fd0@news.povray.org>
"Sven Littkowski" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in need of some figures in ancient costumes. I am reconstructing ancient
> Roman and Byzantine merchant and war ships, and need to populate the decks with
> some life.
>
> I would need soldiers of all types (archers, regular, ballista and catapult
> crew) and all hierarchic levels and in various positions, but also ship crew
> (sailors, rowers, loaders, navigators and captains). I know about their clothing
> and could assist here.
>
> Is here anyone who want to help?

If you are interested in real looking figures and will have them displayed at
close distance you can only use professional software. In a related thread from
you I proposed to use blobman but you will run into problems with the clothing.
Even if you have the money to buy a license of Poser (some 140 Euro at Germany
at least) you will have no clothing from ancient centuries (one middle age male
tabbard is included). There are some free resources (shareCG.com) but you will
mainly find lingerie (since that is the view the users of this sides want to see
their models). You will not find ancient or male clothing (only very, very
little). They all seems to will depict naked or half-naked women only. If you
are looking for this, you are at a rich ressource, but not if you will depict
real life about the romans, the celts or other ancient cultures. At other
resources you can find the desired products, but you have to pay for them
(renderosity, turbosquid, DAZ), ... and they are not cheap.

Best regards,
Michael