POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) : Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) Server Time
16 May 2024 08:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison)
From: Kenneth
Date: 31 Jan 2013 10:25:00
Message: <web.510a8b819618bbb7c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] KOSHERhotmailcom> wrote:

> You can see the two animations where I do this here:
>
> http://www.irtc.org/anims/2004-10-15.html

Is this one supposed to be so short? The file is only a couple of seconds long;
looks like it has been truncated.

> http://tc-rtc.co.uk/imagenewdisplay/animation/index92.html

Very cool. Some nice effects there; the wormhole/hyperspace thing is really
good. And I do like your acceleration/deceleration of the camera pan. My own way
of doing that is kind of cumbersome (and not wholly effective.) For the
acceleration, something like

#if(clock >= .2)
and using
pow(ceil(..multiplier.. *(clock - .2),0,1),2)  (...I *think* this is right...)

but also having to figure out what this block should be to smoothly reverse the
process, for the deceleration. The pow(...) thing is needed for the smoothness
of course, but it also makes it difficult to figure out the right value to use.
Do you have a more elegant and controllable means to do this, that you simply
plug in whenever it's needed?  Maybe one that I could steal?  ;-)