POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : multiple pigment use--a basic inconsistency? : Re: multiple pigment use--a basic inconsistency? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: multiple pigment use--a basic inconsistency?
From: Kenneth
Date: 29 Jan 2013 15:35:01
Message: <web.510831b93b1b12e0c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

> Isn't texture part of material though? I always thought writing
> pigment{...} by itself was just a shortcut for
> material{texture{pigment{...}}} (and texture{...} a shortcut for
> material{texture{...}})

My own understanding is that 'material' is just a container, not a functional
'wrapper'--just to encapsulate the more important elements inside, to easily
move then from one place to another. A goofy real-world example would be a
lawyer with his briefcase; it holds all his important legal papers, so he can
take them into court. Other than that, though, the briefcase has no function in
his actual law practice.

Same for POV's 'transform' keyword, I think.

In other words, the material{texture{pigment[...}}} 'hierarchy of importance'
actually stops at texture{...}, conceptually speaking.

Yet I'm rather hoping that my analogy is wrong(!)--so that someone more astute
here cwill correct me, and *I* can get a better understanding of the situation.
;-)