POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) : Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) Server Time
16 May 2024 04:29:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison)
From: Kenneth
Date: 28 Jan 2013 00:00:01
Message: <web.510605409618bbb7c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] KOSHERhotmailcom> wrote:

> Actually you can get away without collision detection on a fly-through
> like this by simply having each asteroid stay in place, and have the
> camera take a more winding route.  The spinning of the asteroids and the
> motion of the camera will help hide the cheating.

I think I may have used the phrase 'collision detection' by mistake. The
meteoroids in my scene actually *are* static, BTW (except for rotations); the
camera just flies through 'em. What I meant earlier was that I was trying to
find a method to keep them from simply 'overlapping.' But I forgot the correct
term for that. :-[  Uh, obviously, I still can't remember it...

I actually did run a different kind of test animation, just for fun, with the
meteors all zipping through space in random directions. The result was total
chaos! The camera's point of view couldn't really lock onto anything, no real
reference. (You would think that the moon and the background would have served
that purpose; but all those flying objects made the scene way too disorienting.)