POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) : Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) Server Time
16 May 2024 16:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison)
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Jan 2013 23:20:01
Message: <web.5105fbc69618bbb7c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] KOSHERhotmailcom> wrote:

> I do however note that the moon is rotating much faster than any
> spherical body will in real life.  The earth, for instance, rotates one
> degree every four minutes.

Just a fanciful depiction, to give a bit more life to the scene. But it makes me
wonder if there are physical laws preventing such a body (Earth's moon, for
example) from rotating that fast. Would it fly apart?

Neutron stars are known to rotate extremely rapidly. But then again, they are
extremely dense, with tremendous gravitational forces holding them together.

Off topic: It would be interesting to know what a neutron star 'looks like' if
we could actually see one CU through a telescope. Since it's only neutrons (no
full atoms with electrons), and since light is an electromagnetic phenomenon,
what happens when a photon impinges on it? Light needs electrons to 'react' with
when it hits an object, AFAIU. An interesting 'thought experiment.'