POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) : Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) Server Time
14 May 2024 23:41:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison)
From: Kenneth
Date: 18 Jan 2013 00:15:01
Message: <web.50f8d88a9618bbb7c2d977c20@news.povray.org>

> Display of HDRI images is quite simple, too: Essentially you /can't/
> display them. There aren't any displays out there that would provide the
> necessary dynamic range.

I thought I read somewhere (or maybe not!) that a very specialized display was
available to do that. Maybe in scientific circles; can't remember where I saw
it. Perhaps just wishful thinking!

I've been wondering about the latest whiz-bang flat panel monitors, with their
supposed 10-gazillion-to-1 contrast ratios: whether or not that would suffice to
show HDR images raw. But I suppose the internal circuitry still works in the
standard 8-bit-per-channel way. Not to mention the extreme brightness levels
that would be required of the pixels as well.

> So what you do is simulate the effects it would have on photographic
> film or to the naked eye (they, too, don't have HDRI capability): You
> make the >100% portions of the image "bleed" into their neighborhood, by
> mixing in a low-brightness highly blurred copy of the HDR image.

Fascinating! I've never seen it explained that way. More research to do!