POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : focal blur only using HexGrid2Size? : Re: focal blur only using HexGrid2Size? Server Time
2 May 2024 00:08:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: focal blur only using HexGrid2Size?
From: Kenneth
Date: 11 Jan 2013 19:10:01
Message: <web.50f0a92b283518e4c2d977c20@news.povray.org>

> Obviously this problem could easily be solved by forcing POV-Ray to take
> more samples initially, so that it has a fair chance of hitting the
> sphere in the first attempt. Unfortunately, POV-Ray 3.6 did not provide
> for such a mechanism.
>
> This is where POV-Ray 3.7's two-parameter version of the blur_samples
> setting comes in:
>
>      blur_samples MIN, MAX

This is indeed a welcome change. I've had a similar problem with my recent
underwater scene (e.g. tiny spheres, very close to the camera, with a more or
less uniform background.) In 3.62, the '7-objects-only-syndrome' is very
apparent--and adding more blur samples just makes the 7 spheres cleaner and more
obvious. :-/

I haven't yet had the chance to run my scene with 3.7RC6, but am looking forward
to doing so. Thanks for tackling this issue! Kudos.