POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : problems from example file : Re: problems from example file Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:56:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: problems from example file
From: Frank Haverkort
Date: 8 Jan 2013 10:30:01
Message: <web.50ec3aa11fa284552241130c0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 20/01/2012 17:56, bnrj.rudra nous fit lire :
> > Dear all,
> > I am very new to povray, running it in a x86_64 machine(with binary file) but I
> > also have glibc for i686
>
> You might enjoy better experience by compiling it locally, as you seems
> to be using linux.
>

> > rpm -qa|grep glibc-2
> > glibc-2.14.90-24.fc16.4.i686
> > glibc-2.14.90-24.fc16.4.x86_64
> >
> > I tried to run the first example from
> > http://library.thinkquest.org/3285/tutorial/simple.html
>
> > $ povray 1.pov
> > povray: cannot open the user configuration file
> > /home/rudra/.povray/3.6/povray.conf: No such file or directory
>
> Not a problem, just a warning: you do not have a personal configuration,
> so you will be using the system one instead.
> (would you have one, the system one would be overloaded with your
> setting when used by you).
>
> You can create the missing directories & files if you want:
>
>  $ mkdir -p $HOME/.povray/3.6
>  $ touch $HOME/.povray/3.6/povray.conf
>

> > Parsing Options
> >   Input file: 1.pov (compatible to version 3.61)
>
> >   Library paths:
> >     /usr/local/share/povray-3.6
> >     /usr/local/share/povray-3.6/ini
> >     /usr/local/share/povray-3.6/include
> > Output Options
> >   Image resolution 320 by 240 (rows 1 to 240, columns 1 to 320).
> >   Output file: /home/rudra/povray/1.png, 24 bpp PNG
>
> > Using 24 bit TrueColor visual
> > Using default window background
> > Mapping background image
> > X error: BadMatch
> > X error: BadGC
>
> You need the 32 bit libraries for X11... in shared version.
>
>  $ type povray
>  $ ldd ......./povray
> might give you the list of needed libraries.

Thank you for this explanation, but maybe someone could elaborate a bit more on
the last point? I'm having exactly the same problem as the original poster,
namely the error:
X error: BadMatch
X error: BadGC

I tried finding the libraries povray depends on, as explained by the previous
poster:
  frank@werk:~/downloads/povray-3.6$ ldd /usr/local/bin/povray,
but this failed:
  not a dynamically executable file

Does anyone know how to solve this? By the way, I'm running Ubuntu 12.10.