POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : box with zero thickness: inside/outside question : box with zero thickness: inside/outside question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  box with zero thickness: inside/outside question
From: Kenneth
Date: 3 Jan 2013 17:30:00
Message: <web.50e6051d8299ecdac2d977c20@news.povray.org>
I've only lately become aware that a box can be made with zero thickness (I
picked this up from some Screen.inc code.) It never occurred to me to try it--I
guess because a box can't be *scaled* this way, and the idea seemed
counter-intuitive anyway. But it's very useful for projecting images onto (as an
example), as it's an easy way to get no visible 'edge thickness.'

But if an interior_texture is then applied to the box, it completely
disappears--as seen from the front. (And, BTW, with no 'graininess' that might
be expected from floating-point errors--i.e., no random mixing of the
front-projected image with rgbt 1 on a pixel-by-pixel basis.) I would have
expected to see the transparent pigment only if I rotated the box to look at its
rear surface--like a POV-Ray disc.

So this behavior begs the question (mostly one of sheer curiosity): What is
considered the inside/outside of such a box? My first thought it that there is
*only* an inside now.